Basic configuration

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Jul 26 12:40:30 EDT 2007

> Michael Menge a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Wy I can't to use cyradm because it ask me a password ?
>>>

>> here may be a Point.
>>
>> 1.) If u use "cyradm -u cyrus localhost"
>> cyradm will ask you for the password of the user cyrus.
>> With you config you can change the password with "passwd cyrus"
>
> I exactly do that but with the right password I got:
>
> Login failed: generic failure at /usr/lib/perl5/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line
> 119
> cyradm: cannot authenticate to server as cyrus

Maybe you want to try:
cyradm --user cyrus --auth login localhost

>> 2.) for IMAP/POP login to succsed the user must have an INBOX,
>> so you must first login as cyrus and create the INBOX with
>> cm user.przyswa
>
> By setting a new user with "sasl_pwcheck_method: alwaystrue" I created
> an user with "cyradm cm przyswa" who creates ...cyrus/mail/p/przyswa dir
> wich cyrus.cache cyrus.header cyrus.index
>

>>> In fact I can't USE Cyrus because to much security features lock it.
>>> Cyrus seems very secure but not usable :-)
>>
>> I had no such problems with cyrus
>
> You are a lucky man :-)

It all depends on your distribution. Compiling and installing from source
needs some deep understanding of how cyrus works. Using a Linux
distribution with a decent cyrus-imapd package should let you get up and
running in a few minutes. That wasn't the case for my preferred distro,
which is RedHat/Fedora, that's why I created rpms for it.

Simon