Basic configuration

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Jul 25 08:35:35 EDT 2007

Hi,

You may check the following points.

1.) You set sasl_mech_list: plain

The mechanism plain is an extra sasl library, you may have to install.
You force the use of plain even if better mechanism would be availible,
but if the sasl_plain library is not installed you have no mechanism
for authendification at all. You can use imtest to debug the login
procedure.
The CAPABILITY string must say AUTH=PLAIN.

2.) Activate imaps and test the login with

imtest -a USERID localhost
imtest -t '' -a USERID localhost
imtest -s -a USERID localhost

3.) if you use PAM,

have a look in /etc/pam.d/imap , /etc/pam.d/imaps , /etc/pam.d/pop ,
/etc/pam.d/pops and /etc/pam.d/sieve

if these files don't exist pam will use /etc/pam.d/other
You may want to add
"auth     required       pam_warn.so" and
"account  required       pam_warn.so"

to the pam configurations to monitor and debut the logins

i hope i could help

michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen