Cyrus & ZFS performance

Tim Bannister Tim.Bannister at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 10:31:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 04:05:53PM -0700, Vincent Fox wrote:
> I just thought to report back to the list, that ZFS is working out well.
>
> I asked a while ago about other's opinions, and got all thumbs up.
>
> We deployed a setup with Sun T2000 running Solaris 10u3 (11/06)
> and a pair of Sun 3510FC arrays mirroring in a hybrid HA RAID
> 5+1+0 setup that I can describe further if anyone cares.
>
> We currently have 27,323 accounts on it, and it is performing
> very well, with atime=off and compression=on.  We have only
> recently migrated a lot of this existing userbase over using
> an imapsync method,  so we are not as yet seeing so much of
> space/performance benefits of single instance store.

After our migration of staff to Cyrus we hardlinked exact duplicates
together. I used faster-dupemerge from
http://www.furryterror.org/~zblaxell/dupemerge/dupemerge.html with some
modifications (mainly that it would only link files matching /^\d+\.$/)

This resulted in only small space savings but still seemed worth doing;
the main "cost" was some extra IO.

--
Tim Bannister
IT Services