LTMPD rejecting large messages, maxmessagesize is _not_ set

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Jul 13 12:38:06 EDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, David Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
>
>>  LMTPD is rejecting large messages; I've been unable to figure out the exact
>>  threshold, but I am seeing messages like this in my Postfix logs:
>>
>>  Jun 28 20:23:12 vostok postfix/qmgr[9323]: 22F5373D6F6:
>>  from=<sender at example.com>, size=16243464, nrcpt=1 (queue active) Jun 28
>>  20:23:22 vostok postfix/lmtp[13405]: warning: non-LMTP response from
>>  imap.nebrwesleyan.edu[10.1.1.31]: sendmail: fatal: sender at example.com(76):
>>  Message file too big
>
> I don't think that Cyrus generated that error messages. Try "strings" on the
> lmtpd binary. Errors from Cyrus should be all variants on:
>
>   ec IMAP_MESSAGE_TOO_LARGE,
>    "Message size exceeds fixed limit"
>
> Is sendmail/postfix using a staging partition which has run out space?
>
> --
> David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
> University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
> New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
> Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.

Right you are.  It's Postfix's 'sendmail' binary that appears to be
generating the error, although I'm still perplexed that it claims to
be in response to a non-LMTP response from lmtpd.

Well, off to ask on the Postfix list.  Thanks.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University