LTMPD rejecting large messages, maxmessagesize is _not_ set

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 12 15:17:49 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Roberto R. Morelli wrote:

> Look at the postfix config (main.cf).  The value to look at is
> "message_size_limit".  Had the same problem long time ago.
>
> Mine is set to "message_size_limit = 512000000" Which is email size of 512MB
> (folks here use email like ftp .....)

Thanks for the suggestion, but when Postfix rejects a message because
it's too big, Postfix generates the bounce; it doesn't wait to deliver
it via LMTP and then complain that LMTP gave a bad return value (which
is nonsensical, if Postfix is rejecting the message).  Re-read the
error message; note that Postfix is merely reporting the error it got
from LMTPD.

For the message in question, here's the Postfix queue manager
receiving it:

Jun 25 13:58:47 vostok postfix/qmgr[9323]: 58A6373D6F6:
from=<sender at example.com>, size=16243093, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

>From main.cf:

message_size_limit = 20480000

16243093 < 20480000

I can also see the message being processed by the cleanup daemon,
which is the daemon that would be bouncing the messages if they were
too large.

This remains a problem with LMTPD.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University
LOPSA Sysadmin Days: Professional Training for Professional SysAdmins
August 6-7, Cherry Hill, NJ
http://lopsa.org/SysadminDays