Referrals again

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Tue Jul 3 04:07:08 EDT 2007

(I'll re-add the list to the cc, because this is the third time I get
the same suggestion. Please bear with me ;)

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:05:37AM +0200, Michael Menge wrote:
> one awy could be to add cnames in the field subjectalternatename,
> or use wildcards like *.mappi.helsinki.fi in the certificate

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, this would be a very good way to do
this. But we don't trust that the diversity of IMAP/SSL clients out
there know how to handle wildcard certificates correctly. Perhaps in a
couple of years time... ;) (People at the university seem to be very
conservative about how they read their email. We still haven't got rid
of our unix mail spool based email system; there is a vocal minority
using it instead of our IMAP service... On the other hand, supporting
legacy systems is something of a matter of pride (i.e. a bit extra work
for IT staff against a lot of (albeit one-time) learning work for many
others...))

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>