Remote mailbox creation error / unified murder

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Tue Jul 3 01:25:56 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:23:25PM -0400, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 02 Jul 2007, at 06:53, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> >But when try to imapsync the old server's data to the new one, with
> >only
> >one multi-threading mupdate master process, I keep getting 'connection
> >to the master timed out' errors from the mupdate slaves.
> During your imapsync process, I might disable murder.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a try.

> Of course,
> it's a great load test!

True. (:-P)

> Is mupdate logging anything when the clients
> time out?

Yes, it was. I actually found out about the mupdate_connections_max
option by searching the code for the log message:

Jul  2 08:01:18 pcnm.mappi.helsinki.fi im/mupdate[25967]: Server too busy, dropping connection.

> >mupdate_connections_max: 1024
> >mupdate_workers_max: 500
> >mupdate_workers_maxspare: 100
> >mupdate_workers_minspare: 20
> >mupdate_workers_start: 50
> >I'll have some 50000 (fifty thousand) users with some 600000 (six
> >hundred thousand) mailboxes, with max abt 6000 users active at any
> >given
> >time. And the murder has 24 nodes.
> UMich's system is somewhat bigger than this.  We invoke mupdate with
> this line:
>
>         mupdate         cmd="mupdate -m" listen="mupdate" prefork=1
> maxfds=1024

I wonder where the mupdate process gets its fd limit from if it isn't
specified there. Does it inherit it from the shell that starts up
cyrus-master? Or is it set explicitely to some default value in
cyrus-master?

I'd better add that option to cyrus.conf anyway, to be on the safe side.
Thanks!

> and imapd.conf:
>
> 	mupdate_connections_max: 1000
>	mupdate_workers_max: 200