Referrals again

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Tue Jul 3 01:11:52 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:29:09PM -0400, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 02 Jul 2007, at 12:00, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> >But then, I'd have to buy
> >twenty-five certificates...
> You could create your own "lite CA" and sign your own certificates.
> This is a very common solution when you control the machines that
> Pine runs on, or if the machines Pine runs on are "professionally"
> managed.

We've actually already done that (the certificates of our old Cyrus
system are signed by our own CA). But the general trend here has been to
move towards using more widely adopted CA's, precisely because we don't
control all the ssl clients wanting to use this or that service we
provide for our students, staff and, well, other people. :) (And, for
the end user, it's always a nuisance to have to install an extra CA
certificate.) But thanks for your suggestion, anyway. :)

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>