Excess murder proxy logins

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Mon Jul 2 04:34:10 EDT 2007

Hi!

For a reason or another, every time a user logs in in my unified murder,
the login is proxied to one of the nodes (the same node all the time).
All the actions happen on the correct node; all the one node sees is the
proxy login. So there seems to be little harm except the load caused by
the DIGEST-MD5 logins - on the other hand, this does mean that the more
there are logins, the harder one node is hit, independent of how many
nodes I try to spread the load on..

Actually, it isn't even this simple. I've got a setup similar to
Fastmail's, that is, many independent murder nodes running on one physical
server (bound to their own IP addresses, with their own config files and
spool partitions) (and yes, I know they don't use murder at Fastmail).
Now, only the nodes running on remote servers do the proxy logins. Nodes
that are on the same server as the node that the connections are proxied
to - they don't do the proxy logins.

The imapd config files on all nodes and all servers are identical except
for server name and partition/directory name dependent sections. (The
differences between the config files of nodes on server 1 are the same
as the differences between the config files of nodes on servers 1 and 2
(and 3 and 4)). The sasl and pam and radius configs are identical on all
servers.

(It might be that this problem disappears after restarting this murder
member, or all remote members (it didn't disappear when I started
mupdate master). I'm reluctant to do this right now, because I'm in the
middle of a big imapsync...)

...oh yes, there is no mention of the node that the proxy logins appears
in in the mailboxes list, I mean, other than where there should be...

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>