Remote mailbox creation error / unified murder

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Sun Jul 1 06:40:51 EDT 2007

> Hi!
>
> Using mutt, connecting via another backend, trying to create a folder
> (ie. save a message to a new folder), result:
>
> imap_copy_messages [a0009 NO [TRYCREATE] Mailbox does not exist]?
>
> Connecting directly to the correct backend, result:
>
> Append messages to imaps://jmmpelto@i08.mappi.helsinki.fi/INBOX.tataeiole?
> ([yes]/no):
>
> So apparently what happens is, the mailbox gets created on the correct
> backend, but the information isn't immediately reflected on the
> mailboxes list of the proxying 'backend'. Actually, the change won't be
> propagated to any of the mupdate slaves (that /are/ listening).
>
> The same goes with deletion: the mailboxes list of the proxying backend
> (and, therefore, my client) sees doesn't get updated. What am I missing
> this time... My test setup, with the 2.3.8-4 invoca rpm based cyrus
> doesn't express this behaviour (on the other hand, it a has much smaller
> mailboxes list and much less members. But the mailboxes don't seem to
> (dis)appear on the proxying members at all.. and turning off most
> members of the to-be-production setup didn't help..)
>
> (The setup to be in production in 2.3.8-7, with the patches to avoid
> deletion of local mailboxes - looking at the code, the shouldn't cause
> this kind of behaviour. And anyway, the test setup also has those
> patches. I couldn't find any significant differences between the config
> files, either. And I tried turning off the firewalls on both the mupdate
> master and the nodes concerned, in case there was something in the way.)
>
> Restarting the mupdate master server causes all the slaves to
> re-synchronize their mailboxes lists. (And this, in turn, generates
> a substantial amount of write load.) And this seems to be the only way
> to propagate the changes.
>
> Could anybody point to any help? I'm confused. Simon, if you're
> listening: could any of the patches added between releases 2.3.8-4 and
> -7 cause this?

Hi Janne,

The patches between -4 and -7 are a cyrusdb_berkeley patch from CVS and
the pcreposix patch from FastMail.FM. I don't think they have any effect
in your situation, but maybe someone of FastMail.FM can tell you more.

FYI, I'm currently testing -8 release which includes the two patches you
mention (bug #2915 and #2915).

Simon