Delivering mail to remote mailbox (cyrus imapd)

Raul Dias raul at dias.com.br
Tue Jan 30 13:07:44 EST 2007

Hi,

Right now I have a sendmail MTA that delivers mail locally thru
procmail.  This is a non cyrus box and it is not an option to turn it to
one right now.

This procmail, does some scanning like virus and spam (spamassassin) and
filtering accordling.

For some users I would like to deliver the mail to a remote cyrus imapd.

Forwarding to a MTA in the cyrus box is not an option, as it is really
common to have to reprocess email in a baysian database.  If the message
is forwarded to another mta, this can confuse the learning leading to
false positives and negatives.

I know that lmtp can listen to a tcp port which solves the cyrus side of
the problem.  However I need to deliver the message to the lmtp server.
If it was local I could use "deliver", but deliver does not work over
tcp (am I wrong?).

So I need some kind of lmtp client.  So far the only one I found was
postfix lmtp, which does not help.

Also, procmail save some messages in a mbox file for later checking
(e.g. checking FPs on spam), for this I have written a perl script that
reads this mailbox and delivers the messages to an specific shared
folder on the cyrus server.

Can lmtp protocol specify which folder a message should go?  I know that
this is a sieve job, but sieve does not accept messages directly does
it?  deliver accepts a "-m mailbox" option so, I assume that lmtp has
this support too.

So, what are my possibilities?  Should I write my own MDA for this?

-Raul Dias