Large dirs [Was: Re: Clustering and replication]

Joel Nimety jnimety at perimeterusa.com
Tue Jan 30 11:22:55 EST 2007

Janne Peltonen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 11:01:03AM +0100, Simon Matter wrote:
>>> This might be a problem, since we have some users that really have 10000
>>> messages in their INBOX. Although it seems that Cyrus itself cannot cope
>>> with this either... in our current, non-clustering setup. But then, it's
>>> an old version.
>> Interesting, I have some folders with ~100'000 messages and cyrus handles
>> it very nice. Did you say you have a problem with 10'000 messages in a
>> mailbox?
>
> I didn't inspect the case at all closely, but yes, there was one user
> with some 10'000 messages in one folder experiencing slowdown, and after
> I suggested him to clean up his INBOX, there were no more complaints.
> But it was (is) really an old version of Cyrus on a very busy server.

What fs are you using?  ext3 without special flags whould choke on
10-20k message per directory.  ResierFS (and maybe XFS?  JFS?) handle
large numbers of files per directory >20K just fine

> --Janne
> ----

Joel Nimety
Product Architect
203.541.3416
jnimety at perimeterusa.com
http://www.perimeterusa.com

--
The sender of this email subscribes to Perimeter Internetworking's email
anti-virus service. This email has been scanned for malicious code and is

This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s)
above and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
delete the email and immediately notify our Command Center at 203-541-3444.