Running a shell command on update/creation of an item

Jochem Meyers jochem at mondrian.nl
Tue Jan 30 06:31:58 EST 2007

Hi all,

Currently, I'm trying to build an application involving synchronizing some
data stored in a cyrus imap store (as messages with attachments) to an sql
database. To accomplish this, I would like to have cyrus run a shell script
when a item in it's store is updated or created. The items don't arrive
through the MTA, but rather through a direct connection with the IMAP
server, so using something like procmail is out of the question. Updates
also need to be caught and processed.

If this isn't a possibility, I'll have to write an application that checks
the mailbox status periodically and synchronizes if it finds updates, but
for an improved user experience, I'd rather use the above method.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jochem Meyers