Delayed expunge / undeleting messages

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Thu Jan 18 02:34:39 EST 2007

Hi!

The purpose of the delayed expunge mode appears to be to reduce the
amount of disk I/O during expunge and add responsiveness to the client.
But I've been thinking... I've got lots of users that accidentally
delete important messages, and sometimes even ask us immediately after
deleting (and expunging) those messages if they could be recovered. Now
if the message was alive last night when we backed the system up, it
could be recovered. But if the message was new, it couldn't.

But if there is a delay in expunging the message, the file containing
the mesage might just lie around in the mail spool, and could be
identified reasonably easily. Is there a way to add the message back
to the index? A quick hack would probably be something like copying the
message file to N., where N is an unused message number, and
reconstructing the mailbox. But is there another way? I always feel
uncomfortable writing stuff to the mailspool bypassing Cyrus.

--Janne Peltonen
Email admin
Univ. of Helsinki