load balancing at fastmail.fm

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 16 07:55:12 EST 2007

> Thanks, that was interesting reading.
> Is there any specific reason you didnt opt for a cluster filesystem?

Internal knowledge mostly. We very were familiar with the performance and
overall usage implications of a local filesystems on locally attached
SATA-to-SCSI RAID boxes that we've been using for a while.

The setup, performance, maintenance, etc of cluster filesystems would
involve learning and using entirely new technologies we didn't know much
about, are complex, and probably don't trust fully. In high usage
environments like we have, it stresses software and finds bugs you don't
expect. Our backup system was crashing our kernel NFS server regularly in
mutliple versions of the linux kernel. Even when we tried LVM once we
managed to find subtle bugs that seemed to cause filesystem corruption
(search for LVM reiserfs corruption, there's old reports in kernel mailing
lists). These are both supposedly well tested, well used and understood
technologies that when you push them still show their corner case problems.
I'd hate to see cluster filesystems pushed given their inherent complexity.

Rob