sieve autocreate

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Mon Jan 15 05:39:15 EST 2007

Hi,

Marten Lehmann wrote:
> does sieve include any form of autocreating a "fileinto"-folder?
>
> I know that there's an option in Cyrus, but that doesn't help me in
> this case. Each user shall be able to define a name for a Junk-folder.
> Usually this is "Junk" (in Thunderbird), but in other Applications it
> might be called "Spam", "Unwanted" or even with Umlauts "Unerwünschte
> Nachrichten".
>
> I surely put this name after the "fileinto" command, but is there also
> a way to create this folder automatically or check if it exists at
> each delivery?

At the university of Athens they created a patch for this; see
http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autosievefolder/

It is included in the Invoca RPMs, and Blaswave packages too I
believe... I see in my man imapd.conf:

       anysievefolder: 0
            It must be "yes" in order to permit the autocreation of any
INBOX subfolder requested by  a  sieve
            filter, through the "fileinto" action. (default = no)

       autosievefolders: <none>
            It is a "|" separated list of subfolders of INBOX that will
be automatically created, if requested
            by a sieve filter, through the "fileinto" action. (default =
null) i.e. autosievefolders:  Junk  |
            Spam

Which is what you're looking for, I believe.

(I never used it though. I was considering it, but for us I think it
would only make sense if you could use variables in the folder-names or
so (like the month/year)....)

Paul