ZFS fsync performance and cyrus (was Patches used at FastMail.FM)

Amos a.goo0h at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 10:03:06 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, Robert Banz <banz at umbc.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2007, at 21:08, Rob Mueller wrote:
>
> >> We are using 2.3.7 on Debian Sarge.
> >> We will maybe move to solaris because of the features of ZFS.
> >
> > Does anyone know the status of ZFS + fsync performance problems?
> >
> > http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0610/0058.html
>
> Supposedly fixed in Solaris 10 11/06...

We're using a recently patched Solaris 10 6/06 release and haven't
seen any problems. In fact it has been kick ass, even with the
compression feature enabled. Seems quite a bit faster than the old box
that was using VxFS, but to be fair we went from an E250 to a V440.
We've been extremely happy so far.

Also got Cyrus under SMF, and I must say I rather like that mechanism
too. We set up Cyrus under a zone and then used the zonemgr script to
easily turn off everything we didn't need enabled. The  Cyrus zone is
on a public interface, and the global zone is on a private one. We've
been doing that increasingly lately and it has been working out rather
well.

http://mydataexchange.net/zonemgr/

Amos