problem upgrading mailboxes.db with cvt_cyrusdb : can't open old database / DBERROR db4: Program version 4.4 doesn't match environment version 0.5

peter pilsl pilsl at goldfisch.at
Wed Jan 10 12:47:08 EST 2007

Simon Matter wrote:

> I think you have the BerkeleyDB problem which has been discussed on this
> list again and again. Looks like your new box uses another BDB version and
> your db files are in the wrong format. You have to somehow convert those
> files to the version you need, there are tools to do that in the BDB
> distribution I think. Otherwise try to convert to skiplist on the old
> server, skiplist does not have the "BerkeleyDB" problem.
>
> Simon

Thnx. I did a lot of additional googling and looking up mailarchives, but this
berkeley-stuff always gave me a headache and I did not manage to find a proper
documentation or do it on my own.

But I found another solution to export the mailboxes-file on the old machine and
importing it on the new installation with the ctl_mboxfile-tool.

   * ctl_mboxfile -d  on the old installation
   * empty config/db on the new installation (or just dont copy it from the old one)
   * create an empty mailboxes.db-file on the new installation
   * ctl_mboxfile -u on the new installation

This will create a skipfile-style mailboxes.db - file for me. Closely monitoring
syslog will help to detect problems.  I put a documentation of my
migration-process online at http://www.goldfisch.at/knowwiki/migrate_cyrus

best,
peter

--