Patches used at FastMail.FM

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 8 16:32:31 EST 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:23:50 -0500, "Ken Murchison" <murch at andrew.cmu.edu> said:
> Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > It's been a while since I posted our list of patches, and there have been
> > a couple of changes since then.
> >
> > I'm generating the site from a script and a bunch of patch description files
> > now, so I should be able to keep it up to date.
> >

> > Feel free to use any of these patches, and Ken - feel free to include
> > anything that looks good into upstream!  Some of these patches are quite
> > specific to our site, but many of the are more generally useful as well.
> >

> > I'm in the process of re-building against the new HEAD (previously the 2.3
> > branch) because we want some of the fixes that have gone in.  It would be
> > nice if there was another 2.3 release that checkpointed some of those in
> > time (*hint*, *hint*) but we're doing OK tracking CVS.
>
> Jeff and I have already discussed pushing out a 2.3 release soon -- as
> soon as we iron out all of the wrinkles in our 2.3 deployment on campus.
>
> We found a few small buglets in the IMAP proxy code that we didn't
> expect.  Either nobody else has a 2.3 Murder running, or they didn't
> notice the random (infrequent) core dumps.

There's only one that I'd really want to push for inclusion soon, and that's:
http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/cyrus-sync-connectonce-2.3.7.diff

it's not absolutely the shortest diff, but it should only take 10-15 minutes
to review since it does very little.  This makes replication master startup a
lot less painful if your replica is down.

The other diff that's very small and we quite like is:
http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/cyrus-reusetimeout-2.3.6.diff

Which reduces the IO hit on an IMAP server if all its connections get
dropped at once due to network issues by spreading out the disconnect
timeouts - but that's less of a priority.  The first one was necessary
to make replication even usable in our environment (master IMAP servers
hanging at (re)start sucks).

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana