Can murder be used for IMAP server migration?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 4 09:51:16 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 09:22:24AM +0100, Miros?aw Jaworski wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 20:08 -0600, Gary Mills wrote:

> > > You'll have to run the frontend + mupdate master on a separate machine.
> >
> > Unfortunately, all the clients know the IP address of the old server,
> > so the frontend has to run there.
>
> Yes. But not the way you think - assign old server ip to the new machine
> with frontend.

That won't work either.  There are many different services linked to
that IP address.  I don't want to move all of them.

> > Of course, the old IMAP server has to run there too.
>
> Wrong. Assign new ip to the old server.
>
> Frankly there are simplier ways to do the migration than playing with
> frontend and mupdate -> perdition. You will use same scheme though -
> assign the ip users are used to use to the perdition and give new ip
> to the old server.

I've investigated perdition, but I don't think it supports all of the
SASL mechanisms that our clients use.  Some use NTLM, for example.  So
many things work nicely with Cyrus that I'd like to stick with it.