[ Re: why does salspasswd2 always append a realm?]

Uroš Gruber uros.gruber at vizija.si
Thu Jan 4 01:44:16 EST 2007

Jo Rhett wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Marten Lehmann wrote:
>> that doesn't solve the problem. As soon as an admin-user contains a
>> realm (e.g. not just "admin" but "admin at mydomain.com") this
>> admin-user can only manage accounts for mydomain.com. But I need an
>> admin-user that can create and manage users for arbitrary
>> domains/realms on a virtual domain environment.
>>
>> So I really need to login without a realm.
>
> Wrong.  You need a login where the realm matches the hostname of the
> machine, which will solve the problem for you.  If you check the sasl
> debug, you'll see that "no realm" becomes the result of
> gethostbyname() during the sasl query.
>
> --Jo Rhett
> Net Consonance : consonant endings by net philanthropy, open source
> and other randomness

I was trying to figure this out a while ago. Thanks for enlightening me
:). Is this possible to be added in documentation.

If I can add here because it's more about virtual users. I still don't
understand is how can I create global admin user. I think in previous
versions of cyrus this works but in latest I can only see users from
primary domain or server hostname.

regards

Uros