Moving mail into IMAP server and the Received date

RM m2k7 at liveonthe.net
Mon Feb 19 01:32:34 EST 2007

Hi,
I'm experimenting with setting up an IMAP server to use as a shared
resource for our project team, to serve a history of mail involved with
the project accumulated from a number of users over some years,
including via newsgroup and regular mail and having been sent and
received using various mail clients.  The accumulated mail is currently
collected in a set of folders in my Mozilla Thunderbird mail local
folders, and I want to move it all as-is into a secured IMAP server so
that others can search, read and deposit mail there too.
I've been experimenting with cyrus and some other imap servers which
also exhibit this problematic behaviour: when I move the mail from a
local folder to an imap folder under cyrus, my adjacent
Windows/OutlookXp mail reader sorts the mail by "Received" date, and the
date registered as "Received" is the time/date that the copy operation
is carried out (ie: now) rather than the date that the mail was actually
originally received.
In Linux/Thunderbird (my primary mail reader) it uses the "Sent" date to
sort the mail, which is fine, but Outlook thinks in terms of the
Received date and that's going to be broken by the mail copy process.
Some questions:
Is Cyrus responsible for presenting that "Received" date, as the mail's
pure text (view source) contains no reference to that date?
Is it possible to force Cyrus to *not* recreate that "Received" date; or
perhaps to copy the "Sent" date to the "Received" date when mail arrives
by copying from folder to folder, as opposed to when it is received via
the common mail delivery mechanism?
Is it possible to run a script to reset all the Received dates for a
given set of mail (by folder location) to match the Sent date per mail?
Thanks
 Rob