load balancing at fastmail.fm

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 04:56:37 EST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, urgrue wrote:

> SAN really has nothing to do with replication. You have your data
> somewhere (local or external disks, local/ext raid, NAS, SAN, etc), and
> youve got your various replication options (file-level, block-level, via
> client, via server, etc).

I agree that storage and replication are orthogonal issues. However, if a
lump of storage is no longer a single point of failure then you don't have
to invest (or gamble) quite as much to make that storage perfect.

Software is rarely perfect, as the early history of replication in Cyrus
2.3 demonstrates. If the software isn't itself a single point of failure
then it can at least be monitored and fixed. On which note I should pass
my thanks to Bron Gondwana, Wes Craig and anyone else who has been working
on replication there.

> None of these are a replacement for backups.

Absolutely, I agree. Exterprise storage and replication are both just
strategies to reduce the frequency that you need to resort to backup.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.