Mail cluster with Murder or Perdition and MySQL: what is best and how to do?

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Mon Feb 12 10:34:25 EST 2007

Igor Zhbanov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to build load-balanced mail system with LVS, Postfix, Cyrus IMAP,
> MySQL and Murder or Perdition.

A note on LVS with perdition (launched from xinetd): set the KEEPALIVE
flag to true if you are using xinetd.

> For now I plan to use two nodes for storing users' mailboxes (each node
> will store one half of mailboxes).
>
> First, incoming mail will come to Postfix. But where (at what node)
> Postfix should direct mail to (to what node?) Cyrus IMAP. I heard, there
> is LMTP-proxy (in Cyrus IMAP?) which looks at database and redirects
> LMTP connections from Postfix to needed IMAP backend.

You can configure postfix to redirect to the correct backend via lmtp
over tcp.  Postfix can look in mysql/ldap/text files/...

> There are three
> more questions: can this proxy use MySQL database to figure out where
> mailboxes are? And can LMTP proxy be on another host i.e. contacted by
> TCP connection and not UNIX filesystem socket. (I mean, is it possible
> to access LMTP-proxy via network?) Can several LMTP-proxies be launched
> simultaneously on different host using the same database.

I'm not using lmtp proxy but I thought you should point postfix to
deliver to the lmtp proxy and this will then redirect to the correct
backend.  I thought you could run several lmtp proxies.

> Next, mail will be stored on needed host. Everything is ok for now.
> But we want not to send mail only, but to receive to by POP3 and IMAP.
> So, user will contact some IMAP-proxy (Perdition or Murder). IMAP-proxy
> will make MySQL database lookup and redrect user to needed backend. Now
> there are questions. Can both Perdition and Murder work with MySQL. What

If you had a look at the perdition site you would see it can look up in
mysql databases.

I'm not sure (I'm not using murder) but murder doesn't look up in mysql.
  Murder uses it own database server, the MUPDATE server.

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be