Can Sieve Do This?

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Wed Feb 7 21:25:41 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 00:46 +0100, FORMER 03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> On 05.02.2007, at 23:06, Kevin Kruzich wrote:
> > I'd like to create a sieve rule that copies all received messages to a
> > folder named INBOX/BACKUP-<username>. This would be set to a limit
> > such as size or number of messages in which the first in would be
> > deleted.
> >
> Sieve only affects the current message; so you would need some other
> tool for deleting the messages. I am not aware of a standard solution
> for this; however somebody else on the list may know something.

ipurge does the trick.  from our cyrus.conf:

EVENTS {
  [...]
  purgespam     cmd="ipurge -X -d 14 -f user.%.spam" at=0200

the main problem is that Cyrus has no support for a system wide Sieve
script, so you need to add the backup rule to each user's file.  the
autocreate patch from the University of Athens is worth a look, it can
install a default Sieve filter for new users:
http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autocreate/

we do backups on the MTA level instead -- a separate delivery is made on
a backup host.  this also protects us from hardware failure on the Cyrus
servers.
--
Kjetil T.