MTA integration: Who should be smarter? MTA or Cyrus [RTCyrus3++]

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Fri Dec 21 15:23:56 EST 2007

I would like to add proper handling of "over quota" situation to
sendmail and cyrus integration [RTCyrus3]

I would like to ask you for opinions which of the few choices below seem
to be better in your opinion

1) Over quota signaling for "RCPT TO:" replies
1a) making cyrus inform sendmail that use is over quota and leave it up
    to sendmail which SMTP reply code to use
1b) making cyrus tell sendmail which specific SMTP reply code should be
    send back to sender

Option 1b would make it easy for Cyrus to add signaling of other
problems beside over quota.

2) over quota user email in "MAIL FROM:"
2a) should sendmail decide how to react?
2b) should cyrus send SMTP reply code to sendmail?

I personally prefer moving as much configuration as possible to Cyrus to
keep "configuration decisions" in one place.

URL(s):
http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at priv.onet.pl : anfi at xl.wp.pl
You may my glories and my state dispose,