Cyrus on Solaris at universities?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 13 21:15:25 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 04:22:45PM -0800, Vincent Fox wrote:
> Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> (Linux comments)
>
> 'Twas not my intent to start a this-OS versus that-OS comparison.
> Valid though that is, it's a different thread.
>
> Like most sites, we have various OS in operation here, it just
> happens that the Cyrus backends are Solaris.  The test project
> here started with spare Sun hardware after all.  And you know
> after working with ZFS for a while, dealing with fsck on a large
> mail volume is something I'm very glad to leave behind.

Oh yeah - I'll be glad when that's gone as well.  That's the biggest
downside to using Linux - and if I had the time and resources I'd
be tempted to try a couple of Solaris-on-Intel installs on a couple
of machines and see if it was workable.

I know some people are quite happy on FreeBSD as well - Cyrus really
is quite portable C.  (I think John Capo uses FreeBSD?)

Still, after using Linux (especially Debian) package management and
userland, maintaing a Solaris machine really does feel like a step
back into the dark ages in some respects.  Having thousands of
well packaged applications at your fingertips is pretty handy, and
it's all well integrated.

I do have one ZFS machine, and I don't use it to anywhere near its
capabilities - it's just backups.

Bron ( advocacy 'r' us! )