folder unreadable

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Wed Dec 12 05:29:45 EST 2007

Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 8:50 AM, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with a single folder in a
>> users mailbox that seems to have become corrupted somehow. He is unable
>> to access this folder from any mail client, and if I log into cyradm,
>> and do lm the folder does not show up. However, if I go to the folder on
>> the hard drive, it is definitely there, and I can read the email in the
>> folder. Reconstruct does nothing.
>
> First backup its content :-)

Yup, did that, but never hurts to remind to do backup, thanks.

> Cyrus don't care of the filesystem structure, it look only for folder
> named in mailboxes.db.
> cyrreconstruct update mailboxes.db reading the filesystem tree.
> But cyrreronstruct is a little broken wolking the filesystem tree.
>
> Did you try to reconstruct the folder itself, not from the user's INBOX ?

I did try this, although this is a subfolder with a space in it, so not
sure it worked so well. The folder is "user.roozbeh.Papers.Category
Paper" I tried "reconstruct roozbeh.Papers", and it did its thing, and
didn't complain, but the folder still isn't there. I wasn't sure how to
deal with the space, so I tried "reconstruct roozbeh.Papers.Category\
Paper", and got Mailbox does not exist. I tried "reconstruct
user.roozbeh.Papers.Category Paper" and got usage: reconstruct [-r] mailbox.

> Did you try to create a folder with the same name at the same place ?
> Using your imap client or cyradmin ?

We were having problems with accessing this mailbox before it
disappeared (he was able to see inside, and look at the emails, but not
move any in or out), and at that time, we tried renaming it and moving
it, and nothing worked. Sometime after that I moved the cyrus directory
to a new hard drive, and when I mounted it again, I think that is when
cyrus lost track of the folder entirely. I just tried creating the
folder with cyradmn, and it appears to have created it, but I can't tell
if it is empty. Is there a way to tell using cyradm if there is mail in
a folder? Obviously, I can and will ask the user, but curious if there
is a way to do it from cyradm. The contents of the folder still apeaar
intact on the hard drive.

> Do the folder show up doing a "ctl_mboxlist -d" ?

nope, well, now it is. :-)

thanks for your help. I'll let you know if this worked.

~maria