skiplist_unsafe

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Fri Dec 7 09:05:06 EST 2007

> I enabled it a few weeks ago before I left UMBC, and it certainly
> seemed to help write performance on the ZFS pool -- we started seeing
> the larger batched writes on those devices, instead of a constant
> stream of itty bity IOs caused by the constant fsync'ing.
>
> If you feel that your filesystem/buffercache will do a good job at
> writing things out to disk, and you've got battery-backed cache on
> your storage, you should be relatively well off.

But if I were to turn skiplist_unsafe on, and the OS crashed - or, say,
the cluster system forcibly unmounted my Cyrus spool and config
filesystems - wouldn't that result in horribly unrecoverable databases
all over the place? (I have everything in skiplist, except quota and
subscriptions.)

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>