Squirrelmail with Cyrus

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Fri Dec 7 08:23:19 EST 2007

Dear BipinDas-Ditro,

 > To be simple,If I create a user in Cyrus,How can I login through
 > Squirrelmail. What should be the configuration settings to be done ?

Usually, there is nothing special. Just configure SquirrelMail to point
to your Cyrus IMAPd server (using localhost or 127.0.0.1 as the server
if it lives on the same machine) and there you go.

The longer answer:

There is a number of different mechanisms which an IMAP client
(SquirrelMail in your case) and the IMAP server (Cyrus IMAPd) can use to
exchange authentication credentials. Usually this is negotiated between
the client and the server automatically.

There are secure and less secure mechanism though, but this matters
primarily on connections over public networks. Is that an Intranet or
Internet setup? Will all your users only use SquirrelMail or will you
have to support users as well which will use other MUA (Mail User
Agents) such as Thunderbird oder Outlook for example?

Regards,
Torsten