Spam and sieve vacation

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Mon Aug 27 05:16:54 EDT 2007

Janne Peltonen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:58:04PM +0200, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
>>> Now I'd like to ask the people on this list about their experiences
>>> using the sieve vacation module. The risks of automatically
>>> responding to spam / automatically forwarding spam / ending up in
>>> sorceror's apprentice mode / ending up having our mail servers
>>> blacklisted as spam relays - would they be acceptably low?
>> We (Ghent University) are using an Ironport appliance to tag spam.  We
>> allow our users to forward email and to set vacations.  We deliver all
>> messages that have a score lower that X (the higher X the more chance
>> it's spam).  For outgoing messages if we think a message is spam we put
>> in a quarantine.  Thus preventing the sending out of spam.
>
> This is interesting. What does it mean that a message gets put in
> quarantine? Does somebody have to approve it manually before it gets out
> and away?

No, if it ends up in the quarantine it gets deleted when the appliance
reaches 80% of its disk space.

If somebody would mail us we could go and have a look.  But nobody has
emailed us yet. :)

How many such messages do you get per day/week? How big is
> your user base?

We have almost 50.000 users.  Not counting all other users that are
hosted on servers inside our mail domain (we don't have much control
over them).

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be