Mail was delivered after two months

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Wed Aug 15 14:37:15 EDT 2007

Under some conditions, I've seen Cyrus deliver hang.  This is
probably a bug in the various Cyrus delivery & LMTP programs, tho
I've not gone looking.  Ideally, every step of delivery, from the MTA
through final delivery would have timeouts to detect this sorts of
hanging bugs.  When both the MTA and Cyrus fails to detect a hang,
mail can be held for a long time.

To prevent this particular problem, I would recommend running
something that looks for processes that ought to be move or less
transient taking a long time.  It ought to be harmless to kill those
hung processes, and once they are dead and locks will be released and
the MTA can retry.

:wes