SQUAT config

brian cyruslist at subtropolix.org
Tue Aug 14 21:26:50 EDT 2007

I'd like to index my mailboxes using squatter and have a couple of
questions.

The squatter man page reports that configuration can be placed in
imapd.conf but says nothing about the syntax. I checked the man page for
imapd.conf but found nothing. So, what does it want to see?

Also, do i need to list every mailbox when i invoke squatter?

SYNOPSIS
   squatter [ -C config-file ] [ -r ] [ -s ] [ -a ] [ -v ] mailbox...

That would seem especially cumbersome if placed in cyrus.conf as an
event. Is there some way to tell it to just do them all? I saw that i
can give it -r for recursive, but i'd like it to just run on every
mailbox under /var/spool/imap.

Speaking of cyrus.conf, the squatter man page suggests listing it as an
EVENT "[f]or large and active mailboxes". I'm wondering what the
definition of large and active might be.

Last question: i'm really not sure i understand what the benefit of
having a SQUAT index is (aside from avoiding seeing "SQUAT failed to
open index file" in the log). I mean, i get that it makes searching
faster. But does this have to do with, let's say, clicking on a mailbox
folder in a GUI client (eg. thunderbird)? Does that cause it to make an
IMAP SEARCH call? Or is this something else, entirely?

brian