Building Cyrus with GCC 4.0+ (Debian Etch), autoconf issues

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 24 22:21:45 EDT 2007

I'm in the process of rebuilding all our packages to target Debian Etch
rather than Debian Sarge so we can switch our infrastructure forwards
once I'm happy it's all stable.

Our Cyrus build is one of the most tricky ones, so I thought I should
compare config.h and the output of running configure under each system.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that GCC 4.1.2 on Debian Etch didn't
support either PIC or __attribute__!

Some searcing found:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/6/12/61
http://lists.apple.com/archives/unix-porting/2005/Jul/msg00040.html

and many other descriptions, basically:

"This is because function prototype declarations in nested scopes are
 no longer accepted. The fix is to remove redundant declarations, or
 to move non-redundant ones to the top level."

The affected files that I can see (in my cyrus 2.3.8) are:

cmulocal/c-fpic.m4
cmulocal/c-attribute.m4

The attached patch (also available online in my patches set!) fixes this
detection issue for Etch.

Bron.