extremely poor performance with many maiboxes for 'list "" *'

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Thu Apr 19 13:50:36 EDT 2007

I've seen problem like that, but I identified issues in the
auth_canonify() code for kerberos.  You don't appear to be using
kerberos, so your situation is likely to be different.  On the other
hand, I can speculate that LIST is much slower than grep because
imapd needs to determine whether every mailbox is readable by the
user.  That sort of calculation is significantly more intensive than
simple pattern matching.  Also, rather than replicating your
environment in test and doing a full profile, I'd probably start by
strace-ing a process that I was talking to with imtest.  I suspect
you'll find that imapd is accessing the filesystem in a most
inefficient way.

:wes