*** PROBABLY SPAM *** Re: cyradm can't lolgin with --port 993

arnaud at opensquad.com arnaud at opensquad.com
Tue Apr 17 07:00:58 EDT 2007

Selon JOYDEEP <j.bakshi at unlimitedmail.org>:

> > AFAIK, cyradm only supports IMAP not IMAPS. So you got 2 options :
> > - bind IMAP on your loopback interface and connect locally (or with a
> > (s)tunnel).
> > - Listen on IMAP and filter access with your firewall.

Oups, forgot to CC the list. ;-)

> thanks a lot for the valuable suggestion. I like to implement the first
> option you have suggested. could you kindly guide me to implement it ?
> also I like to know about stunnel, what is it ?

To enable IMAP on loopback add a line like this in your SERVICES section of your
cyrus.conf
imap  cmd="imapd -U 30" listen="localhost:imap" prefork=0 maxchild=100
So now, IMAP service is only bound to 127.0.0.1 (check this with netstat -at).

The principle of tunnel (stunnel is an implementation along with others) is to
use a ciphered and maybe authenticated "channel" and send "clear text"
protocols over it.

check this site  http://www.stunnel.org for stunnel
or you can use openssl -R option to open a local tunnel to the remote machine.
for example
ssh -R 993:mailserver:143 <.....> will open a connection on your local mahcine
forwarded to imap port on your "mailserver" machine.

HTH

--
Arnaud Brugnon
Opensquad