Recomendations for a 15000 Cyrus Mailboxes

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 11 18:33:03 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:51:57 -0700, "David R Bosso" <dbosso at lsit.ucsb.edu> said:
> --On April 11, 2007 8:26:37 PM +1000 Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>

> > We also apply one patch to reiserfs.  It's a one liner, using
> > generic_write rather than the Hans Reiser special (5% faster, can
> > deadlock under heavy load)
>
> Would you mind sending this to me?  We've been very happy with reiserfs
> for
> years, but would love anything that can improve reliability.
>
> -David

I may as well send them to the list!  I think we got this patch from
someone at SuSE (Chris Mason?) a long while back.

There are two patches attached - the 2.6.19.2 patch was made in response
to a posting on LKML about whether this patch was still needed for 2.6.19:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/31/70

in which Vladimir V. Saveliev said "yes, you still need it, but you have to
use do_sync_write now".  I think that response may have been a private mail.

PLEASE NOTE: we are still using 2.6.16 everywhere because, while the 2.6.19
kernel worked fine, we noticed seriously worse performance on the one machine
we tried it on.  This may have been due to the Areca driver, or something
unrelated, but my personal suspicion is that it's the delayed bitmap loading.
Unfortunately, we didn't have time to test it, so just backed out to 2.6.16
series kernels.

Here's some information about tails and MMAP, which should be fixed in current
kernels:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/1/91

But we never had that issue because we use notail everywhere!
--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm