Mailbox subscriptions in a murder

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Tue Apr 10 16:51:01 EDT 2007

I mean we do not allow connections directly to the
back-end servers.  Our FE servers are behind a
CSS redirector. The Redirector does the load balancing.

If the clients were connecting directly to the BE server
containing their INBOX, this would cause cross-subscription
problems, since BE servers are regular IMAP servers.

In reading over:

http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/CyrusMurderDesign

Sharing mailboxes across servers is supported in Murder
clusters.  Specifically:

 3.3 Subscriptions

  [LSUB, SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE]

  The front end server directs the LSUB to the back end server
  that has the user's INBOX. As such, the back end server may
  have entries in the subscription database that do not exist
  on that server. The frontend server needs to process the list
  returned by the backend server and either remove or tag with
  \NoSelect the entries which are not currently active within
  the murder.

Section 3.8 of that document is about mailbox referrals.
The FE is only supposed to refer Aggregator-safe commands.

Your SERVICES section looks substantially like ours (we
pre-fork 25 processes).  If clients are connecting through
the proxyd (FE) servers,cross-BE subscriptions should
work.  Could your MUPDATE database is out of sync?

Now, when will cross BE server sieve scripts be supported?

Mike

--
Michael D. Sofka
Sr. Systems Programmer, Postmaster pro tem

==============Original message text===============
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:52:07 EDT Eli Ben-Shoshan wrote:

Michael Sofka wrote:
> We do this with cyrus 2.2.12 (2 frontend, 1 master, 3 backend
> server) no problem.  Some of the shared mailboxes are on
> one server, while subscribers are on another.
>
> We run the frontend servers in proxy mode only.

Can you elaborate on "proxy mode only" mode? Here are the pertinent parts of my
cyrus.conf on the frontends:

SERVICES {
  mupdate       cmd="mupdate" listen=2004 prefork=1
  imap          cmd="proxyd" listen="imap" prefork=0 maxchild=4096
  imaps         cmd="proxyd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=0 maxchild=4096
  pop3          cmd="pop3proxyd" listen="pop3" prefork=0 maxchild=1024
  pop3s         cmd="pop3proxyd -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=0 maxchild=1024
  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0
  lmtp          cmd="lmtpproxyd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0 maxchild=64
  smmapd        cmd="smmapd" listen=2020 prefork=50
}

Thanks.

Eli Ben-Shoshan                                  	 ebs at ufl.edu

----