Recomendations for a 15000 Cyrus Mailboxes

Timo Schoeler tschoeler at wernermedia.de
Tue Apr 10 10:58:23 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:56:43 -0500
"Nestor A. Diaz" <nestor at tiendalinux.com> wrote:

> Hello People,
>
> I am a proud cyrus user and fan, right know i need o implement a 15K
> users cyrus mailstore, since i have been using cyrus for an average
> 400 users mailstore, i will like to hear comments for setting up a
> cyrus for a 15K users.
>
> I currently have a  ' postfix / postgresql / cyrus-sasl / cyrus '
> production server working for more than two years without problems,
> and i am going to replicate the same configuracion, however since i
> am going to have a  huge  space  for mail  and people are going to
> use a lot of space, aprox. 50 MB per user, i will like to hear some
> comments about what should be the best  (cyrus / pop3 / imapd)
> configuration, i have read on the mail list some configuration that
> fastmail.fm use, including pop3, imap proxies and multiple instances
> of cyrus, but i like to see more comments about that.
>
> These are the plans: (comments on every number will be apreciated)
>
>    1. Linux LVM over a 600 GB RAID 10 ( 4 x 300 GB)
>    2. Which filesystem seems to be the better ? ext3 ? xfs ?
> reiserfs ?

Do NEVER use XFS on GNU/Linux. (C)XFS is a brilliant FS on sgi's IRIX
machines, I never lost even a single in more than ten years.

On GNU/Linux the implementation totally sucks. I'll stop my rant on
GNU/Linux now ;)

My guess: ext3. ReiferFS has some very annoying weaknesses that may
affect you.

Best: ZFS on Solaris ;)