how to configure sieve to start STARTTLS ?

Olaf Fraczyk olaf at navi.pl
Tue Apr 3 05:25:20 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 14:16 +0530, JOYDEEP wrote:
> Olaf Fraczyk wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 12:27 +0530, JOYDEEP wrote:
> >
> >> Dear list,
> >>
> >> after implementing the imaps , I need to configure sieve to start STARTTLS.
> >>
> >> sivtest -a aftab  -u aftab   linux.kolkatainfoservices.in  -m LOGIN  -t
> >> ""
> >>
> >> is working well. is there any config file for sieve so that I can force
> >> sieve to start STARTTLS ?  bcoz  I am using sieve from a web-based email
> >> client called felamimail.
> >>
> > Man, sending the same message 3 times will not help you to get an
> > answer. Just opposite - people will start ignoring you.
> >
> > Read some book about SSL TLS etc. If you want to use it, you need to
> > understand it a little.
> > How do you want to force a server to "start STARTTLS"? It's not server's
> > job. Read the previous mails about imaps.
> >

> sorry to say that I have not found any solution  yet :-(

Briefly (not technically 100% accurate :):
1. SSL/TLS - you get secure connection from beginning. Both client and
server must know that SSL is to be used before a connection is made.
2. STARTTLS - you use normal connection. At some point the __client__
decides that it wants to secure the traffic. So the client issues
STARTTLS and negotiates secure connection. The server needs to support
this (the client either knows it from elsewhere or is told about this
fact by server earlier). Look at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3207 (it
is about SMTP over TLS but it describes the basic idea).
3. If you have a server that is unable to do point 1. you may use
stunnel. But the client side needs to support this too.

Regards,

Olaf

--
Olaf Fraczyk <olaf at navi.pl>