Problems with repeated download of messages from pop3

Dan Ohnesorg Dan at fel.cvut.cz
Tue Sep 26 16:39:59 EDT 2006

Dne Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 04:09:54PM -0400, Joseph Brennan napsal:

> According to our field support here, this bug is fixed by downloading
> and applying all of the Service Pack updates.  That is a really good
> idea anyway so harm done.

You will never get updates for outlook 97, 2000 and XP an they are widely
used, at least in developing countries. Oulook 2003 really seems not have
problems.

> Cyrus is not doing anything wrong.  Not only does the protocol allow
> numbers to vary in length, but the example in the RFC shows numbers
> of different lengths!

Yes I agree, this is not cyrus problem but Microsoft problem. But users
aren't interested in problem of Microsoft and theyr impotency to make correct
implementation of pop3 and imap client. In fact I don't expect that
Microsoft will ever be able to follow RFC rules. But until there is
somethink better than outlook, we have to live with broken client software.

cheers
dan