slow populating a mailbox

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Sep 25 12:45:57 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 23:17 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> First, is this performance to be expected, or might there be something
> here I can improve?  I have quite a bit of mail I'd like to migrate,
> so if there's an easy way to speed this up I'd like to do so.
>
> Second, where should I look to diagnose or solve this problem?

Depending on the number of messages, it could be the constant fsync()
that slows it down.  Try my fakesync library with LD_PRELOAD and perform
a test migration; I'd like to know if it makes a difference, because I
haven't had chance to test it much.  Obviously, you really only want to
run this during testing or migration, because it would make normal
operation considerably less reliable.

http://haus.nakedape.cc/svn/public/trunk/small-projects/fakesync/

Wil
--