root mailbox/partition permission problem

Josh M. Hurd josh at svrx.com
Fri Sep 22 14:49:29 EDT 2006

On thing I forgot to mention is that this is a Mac OS X server.

more inline

On Sep 22, 2006, at 9:51 AM, Andreas Winkelmann wrote:

> Am Friday 22 September 2006 04:50 schrieb Josh M.Hurd:
>
>> In the effort to set up some Shared public mailboxes I somehow
>> managed to give myself read permission on the root of my mail
>> partition.
>> i have no idea how this happened but would really like to fix it.
>> Currently I see all my mailboxes in my client as well as the root, in
>> this case 'user/' which lists all the other users on the system.  I
>> have no permissions to see in the other mailboxes but I can see the
>> list of users.
>>
>> this is what it looks like from cyradm:
>>
>> INBOX (\HasChildren)
>> INBOX/Apple (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Chess (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Craigslist (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Darwin (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Drafts (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Freelance (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Jobs (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Retrospect (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Sent Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Spam (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/Trash (\HasNoChildren)
>> INBOX/eBay (\HasNoChildren)
>> Sent Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>
> Is this an Admin-Account?

this is my own account but I get the same results from any account I
login with, or course the INBOX/ are different.

>> Shared (\HasChildren)
>> Shared/Christen Archives (\HasNoChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives (\HasChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives/Inbox (\HasChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives/Inbox/Freelance (\HasNoChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives/Inbox/Jobs (\HasNoChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives/Inbox/Orca (\HasNoChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives/Inbox/eBay (\HasNoChildren)
>> Shared/Josh Archives/Sent Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/christen (\HasChildren)
>> user/christen/Deleted Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/christen/Drafts (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/christen/Junk (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/christen/Sent Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/christen/Trash (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/christen/dad phone list (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/emailadmin (\HasChildren)
>> user/emailadmin/Deleted Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/emailadmin/Drafts (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/emailadmin/Sent Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/junkmail (\HasChildren)
>> user/junkmail/Learned (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/notjunkmail (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/stef (\HasChildren)
>> user/stef/Deleted Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/stef/Drafts (\HasNoChildren)
>> user/stef/Sent Messages (\HasNoChildren)
>>
>> I can't sam the user (root) mailbox as "Mailbox does not exist"  I
>> was successful in setting up the Shared mailboxes which work just
>> fine but I want to get rid of this read access I have on user/
>
> What is the Mailbox "user (root)"?

well I don't know what else to call it.
user/josh
user/stef
etc...
user seems to be the or a root of the mailbox hierarchy for users.  I
guess Shared is also at this level.