Deferred email with remote protocol error in reply

Hardi Gunawan hardigunawan at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 23:57:19 EDT 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

--- Superbiji <superbiji at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/15/06, Hardi Gunawan <hardigunawan at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My email server experiencing a delivery problem.
> > Here's the log:

relay=/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp],
> > delay=0, status=deferred (remote protocol error in
> > reply from
> >
> /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp]
> > while sending end of data -- message may be sent
> more
> > than once)
> >

> Have you activate lmtp server?

Yes.  In fact most emails are able to go through, even
to that particular user.  Seems this is quite random
and I can't find out anything from the log.

> > Secondly, how do I find out whether the email has
> > reached the user (especially with multiple
> recipients
> > in the system).  Can I just do a "find" in the
> > /var/spool/imap of a particular user?
> >

> Using return receipt?

I don't think I can do that, as I can't do a proper
test for this problem (seem to occur randomly).  I've
tested a few emails to a few recipients and they are
able to receive the emails properly.

Regards,

Hardi