sieve authentication

Mike Husmann husmann at morningside.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:25:05 EDT 2006

Hey Everyone,
  I'm running cyrus-imap v2.2.12 on a Trustix Linux box with saslauthd configured to
look to Active Directory via LDAP.  It's worked great since we put it up in April.

However, this morning, timsieved quit working out of the blue.  The avelsieve
squirrelmail plugin no longer would authenticate.

Here's what I get from sivtest if I connect from any remote machine:

sivtest -a husmann -u husmann imap -v
S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12"
S: "SASL" "PLAIN"
S: "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational
comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
S: "STARTTLS"
S: OK
Authentication failed. no mechanism available
Security strength factor: 0
C: LOGOUT
Connection closed.

However, if I connect on localhost, everything (sivtest and sieveshell) work great.

I have confirmed that cyrus-master is listening on port 2000:

netstat -tulpen | grep 2000

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      0
      8144374    18188/cyrus-master
tcp        0      0 :::2000                 :::*                    LISTEN      0
      8144372    18188/cyrus-master

Which explains why I can telnet in, etc...  To my knowledge, nothing has changed, so
I'm puzzled as to why it would stop working all of a sudden.

When I try to use sieveshell to log in, I get this in /var/log/imapd/debug:
It doesn't matter whether I log in from localhost or remote, in this case.

Sep 14 11:36:06 rusty master[22152]: about to exec /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/bin/timsieved
Sep 14 11:36:06 rusty sieve[22152]: executed
Sep 14 11:36:06 rusty sieve[22152]: accepted connection

Restarting cyrus doesn't help, and I'm not running any firewall rules with iptables...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mike