performance issue (imap spool on san)

Daniel Eckl deckl at nero.com
Mon Sep 11 08:14:21 EDT 2006

As Mulberry is released freely now I tried it and I have to say, that
neither configuration nor usage is intuitive in any way. I needed
several tries to configure it for IMAPS and Auth'ed SMTPS. I really
cannot use it, I have to search too long for every function and most are
located that illogically, that I seem to be unable to remember them.

And it misses a lot of features I use every day. Virtual folders, inline
attachments (jpegs for example), forwarding emails attached, view
attached emails, Drag and Drop support and so on and so forth.

And a thunderbird with cached headers is multiple times faster in
resorting and scrolling, not only over 3 MBit DSL Line, but even over
LAN. It's fine that mulberry doesn't need to cache headers, but why
isn't it able to do so? Loading on demand and then caching it would be
the best of both worlds.

So just implementing every IMAP feature available might be the best
thing for the server and the protocol, but not for the user. You need a
intuitive interface and nowadays it really has to look nice, too if a
non-geek should use it. And to be honest, mulberry simply looks horrible...

But it's nice, that everyone who doesn't care about looking and
usability now has a suitable free IMAP client availiable.

Best,
Daniel