Usernames with "+" in it

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Sep 6 13:44:35 EDT 2006

That will likely prove to be far more trouble than it's worth.  Both Cyrus
and most Unix MTA's treat + as a seperator/extender, so info+example.com ==
info (but tells cyrus to try to file it into the example.com folder if
permissions allow)....

It's certainly possible to login as that user, the problem comes in
delivery, you'll need to change or disable the + separator in your MTA and
in Cyrus.  Then you can have usernames with + in them.  Better though to
just follow the 'de facto' standards, use .'s as separators in usernames.

--On September 6, 2006 3:51:01 PM +0200 Sven Lepiorz
<ml_cyrusinfo at lepiorz.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have to take over all mailboxes from an other provider to our own
> server. The login names on the old provider is nearly the full email
> address but with a "+" instead of "@", i.e. info+example.com. How can i
> deliver mail to such a user? Or is it possible to login with the username
> info+example.com but act as an other user?
>
> Sven
> ----

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler