LMTP in Cyrus 2.1.15 Refuses connections

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Sep 1 16:46:14 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:36 -0500, Crockett Howard wrote:
> For the past two months we have been seeing intermittent problems in
> which LMTP suddenly begins to refuse connections. What appears to happen
> is that a condition occurs and lmtp becomes unresponsive.  Subsequent
> lmtp processes are spawned until the maxchild limit is reached.  At that
> point all the child processes are unresponsive and email is not
> delivered.  Recycling master resolves the issue.
>
> *** lmtp configuration ***
>
> lmtpunix  cmd="lmtpd" listen="/usr/local/cyrus/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
> maxchild=100
>
> We have been running Cyrus 2.1.15 for the past three years using LMTP
> with no problems.  However, as noted above we began seeing this issue in
> the past two months.  No changes have been made to the systems.
>
> Has anyone seen a problem similar to this?

If memory serves, that was usually caused by database deadlocks or leaks
of some sort in lmtpd.  Some things to try:
 o If lmtpd in that version supports -U, decrease the maximum uses from
   250 to, say, 50.
 o Increase the number of lockers with Berkely DB (you might configure
   your logging to include debug-priority messages)
 o Upgrade to a modern version :)

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>