Message contains invalid header

Daniel Eckl deckl at nero.com
Fri Oct 27 04:36:47 EDT 2006

On 26.10.2006 23:57, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> exim. It can handle even emails with NUL characters and 8bit headers,
> but I guess all up2date MTAs (like postfix or sendmail) are capable of
> this.
Well, that's a bad comparison between MTA and your mail storage! A MTA
normally doesn't care about the body. It just has SMTP envelopes to work
with. MAIL FROM, RCPT TO and DATA is all it really needs (I know that
very simplified, it adds Received: lines and so on). If the message
header or body in the DATA part is seriously broken it doesn't make much
problems (in 99,9% of all cases).

But your Cyrus IMAPd has to work with these headers! It has to be able
to sort by date, search for message ID, index the body, search for any
header field! So you cannot just ignore errors in Cyrus. But perhaps you
could use a program in between your MTA and cyrus which corrects these
problems automagically. But I don't really know of any scalable solution
for that. procmail piping to a script or similar sounds very overhead
for me, but I'm not sure here...

Best,
Daniel