Message contains invalid header

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Wed Oct 25 08:33:08 EDT 2006

Hello,

from time to time we are getting this message in our exim logs:

LMTP error after end of data: 554 5.6.0 Message contains invalid header

I have also experienced this error while I'm syncing emails from an old
server to our new cyrus mailserver. I have

munge8bit: false

in my imapd.conf and reject8bit is set to "false" by default. Which
headers is cyrus complaining about? I cannot change this world where
clients like Notus Notes are sending invalid emails, but simply refusing
these mails is a bad choice. And we also have a lot of emails we
received in the old setup and I wouldn't know how to explain to our
users, that they cannot access these messages any more.

How can I make cyrus less strict?

Regards
Marten